[coreboot] SuperI/O Access (Kernelspace)

Jeremy Moles cubicool at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 01:13:24 CEST 2011

Hey guys, me again. :)

So, my device is working great now that I can access the GPIO pins via
userspace (using iotools w/ Tom Sylla's help) and can power on the
device. However, I'd like to be able to toggle the power on via a kernel
driver as well, but I'm having trouble accessing the same memory range
from kernelspace.

For example:

	iotools io_read8 0xA00

Will return the state of the first 5 GPIO pins. I see that iotools calls
iopl() to be able to access this location from userspace.

When I try to do the same thing in the kernel:

	unsigned short  b;
	unsigned short* ptr = (unsigned short*)(0xA00);

	if(access_ok(VERIFY_READ, ptr, 8)) {
		get_user(b, ptr);

...I immediately get a segfault. From what I've read and seen in other
example code, I believe I'm doing this right. However, I may be making
some wrong assumptions. I was just curious if anyone would be able to
shed some light on the subject--perhaps I'm missing some virtual memory
offset functions or similar...