[coreboot] Differencies between AMD microcodes

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 05:42:52 CEST 2011

2011/4/22 David Santamaría Rogado <howl.nsp at gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to bring up support for Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. Actually
> there is GA-MA78GM-US2H and GA-MA785GMT-UD2H that are similar.
> GA-MA785GM-US2H only differs from GA-MA785GMT-UD2H that it's DDR2 and
> AM2+ instead of DDR· and AM3, so, i copy the folder ma785gmt to
> ma785gm and started to change places where appear as am3 to am2r2 and
> ddr3 to ddr2.
>
> To finish I look the differencies between GA-MA78GM-US2H and
> GA-MA785GMT-UD2H and I see that config AMD_UCODE_PATCH_FILE of
> GA-MA78GM-US2H is mc_patch_01000095.h and GA-MA785GMT-UD2H is
> mc_patch_010000b6.h. I don't know what to apply for GA-MA785GM-US2H,
> if *95.h is used when the socket is am2+ and *b6.h when it's am3 I
> have to use *95.h, but, if *95.h is used when the chipset is 780 and
> *b6.h when it's 785 I have to use *b6.h. So the question is what it's
> the difference between the two mcs and which one should I use for a
> 785g chipset am2+ motherboard?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi David,

The microcode is different CPU revisions only, so don't worry about
which chipset you pair it with or what type of memory.  Take a look at
the comments in src/cpu/amd/model_10xxx/update_microcode.c

Check the serial output for problems loading the microcode.

You may also want to look at the AMD vendorcode directory for even
newer versions of microcode that haven't been included in the older
fam10 code yet.

Marc

--
http://se-eng.com