[coreboot] searching volunteer to install coreboot on asus m4a78 pro

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 01:04:29 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Jelle de Jong
<jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to start with thanking all volunteers on the coreboot
> project! At FOSDEM 2011 I had dinner with two of the volunteers. I have
> been watching the coreboot for the past years, as something that I love
> to have running on my motherboards but never found the time/resources to
> made a first step.
>
> I would like to get coreboot on this system[1]. I would like the
> coreboot to be installed by a volunteer. I can provide ssh access (both
> ipv4 and ipv6) and a root passwd to the machine, and standby to help
> over IRC.
>
> [1] http://debian.pastebin.com/mqphUf5U # details ASUSTeK M4A78 PRO
>
> Features I would like:
> * Serial Console Redirection
> * AMD Athlon II X4 615e support
> * ECC Memory support
> * Readout volt,temp,rpm sensors
> * Boot 2.6 kernel support
> * Grub 2 (lvm, mdadm, ext4) support
>
> I got two M4A78 PRO motherboards that I would like to give new life by
> getting coreboot on them.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Jelle de Jong

Welcome,

Your platform is a good candidate for coreboot support, but the best
way to get coreboot on your system is for you to develop it. You may
want to look at the AMD Mahogany platform as a place to start. You
need to find out what your flash device is. Flashrom didn't ID it.
Mistakes will be made along the way, so make sure that you have a way
to recover from a bad flash. Your board may have a SPI header for
reprogramming.

Marc

--
http://se-eng.com