[coreboot] Intel's BIOS Implementation Test Suite

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Sat Feb 26 17:23:19 CET 2011

Andrew Guertin wrote:

]I'm a lurker here (keep up the great work everyone! <3), but I saw this and
]thought it looked relevant to coreboot development that a link should be posted.
]
]http://biosbits.org/
]
]Quoting from the website:
]> The Intel BIOS Implementation Test Suite (BITS) provides a bootable pre-OS
]> environment for testing BIOSes and in particular their initialization of
]> Intel processors, hardware, and technologies. BITS can verify your BIOS
]> against many Intel recommendations. In addition, BITS includes Intel's
]> official reference code as provided to BIOS, which you can use to override
]> your BIOS's hardware initialization with a known-good configuration, and then
]> boot an OS.
]
]I haven't looked into it deeply enough and nor have I used coreboot enough to
]know if it will be helpful, but I certainly hope it will.
]
]--
]dolphinling
]<http://dolphinling.net/>

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for pointing this out.

The reason coreboot doesn't support recent Intel processors is lack of
reference code (and lack of documentation). That makes the above statement
'includes reference code' interesting. However after downloading, I find
the readme says, "This toolkit includes the processor power management (PPM)
reference code". Sure enough, no memory initialization or other reference
code is included, as far as I can tell.

AMD recently contributed full processor and chipset reference code to the
coreboot project, along with two working coreboot ports to demonstrate
its use.

Thanks,
ScottD