[coreboot] incomplete documentation

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Jan 2 19:53:32 CET 2011

ali hagigat wrote:
> Coreboot declares a complete documentation of some chips by:
> http://www.coreboot.org/Datasheets

How do you know that it is complete? I doubt that we have (even links
to) complete documentation for anything besides superio chips.

> and particularly 82815E by:
> http://www.coreboot.org/Datasheets#Intel_82801BA.2FBAM_.28ICH2.29
>
> Where is the documentation for integrated graphics controller of this
> chip?

It may be available from the manufacturer, Intel. Please talk to them.
If you can acquire documentation and the permission to redistribute,
then more information is of course very welcome on the datasheets
web page.

> Why Coreboot site maintainers do not clearly express that the
> necessary documentation for BIOS developing is not available?

Because that is already immediately obvious for someone who looks at
the documentation that *is* available, or for someone with experience
from PC firmware development, or for someone who starts reading the
coreboot source code and tries to look up what the meaning of the
code is, or for someone who gets told about this fact e.g. via email.

I'm sorry that none of this is sufficient for you.

//Peter