[coreboot] ASRock 939A785GMH/128M trouble

Neo The User neotheuser at ymail.com
Sun Jan 30 03:31:54 CET 2011

> I've tried to install Coreboot/SeaBIOS on my ASRock
> 939A785GMH/128M
> motherboard [1], leaving it totally unbootable: no beeps,
> no VGA output :-(

This is why you need a seperate flash chip, so you can back up your working system. Now you have to solder the chip off the motherboard, put it in another motherboard, flash the BIOS chip with the ASRock BIOS (AMI), and put it back into the broken / bricked motherboard and reboot it.

> I'd also appreciate any help or hints on recovery, because
> now I can't even
> boot. I tried that trick with AMIBOOT.ROM on USB flash and
> <Ctrl>+<Home>, but
> it didn't worked for me.

It didn't work because Coreboot doesn't have a USB rescue feature, so the only way to fix it, to my knowledge is to solder parts on and off. This requires very good soldering skills in order to have it work successfully. If you strip the traces off, let alone the pads, you have just made a bad situation worse. Flashing a motherboard with Coreboot should never be done unless you have some sort of back-up and hardware / soldering skills.