[coreboot] SPI clock rate

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jul 5 03:02:05 CEST 2011

Andreas Galauner wrote:
> Yep, I just found the pinheader. Seems to be 1.27x1.27mm.
> I also created a support ticket for the pinout on Sapphire's website.
> It would be nice if they give that to me, but I really doubt it.

Did you check that it's not documented in the manual already?

> I'll try to measure the pinout tomorrow with a multimeter.

Sure, that will work fine. Each pin will be directly connected to a
pin on the flash chip.

> > What do you mean by AVR? It's relevant for much of what you write.
>
> Oh, sorry. I mean those Atmel AVR microcontrollers.

Yes Atmel, but "AVR" says nothing about which family of devices you
mean. If it's the wee small 8-bit ones I wouldn't bother, on the
other hand if you have a toolchain then sure, why not!

> I haven't done very much with SPI flashes until now. I know how the
> physical protocol works and used it a few times in some smaller
> microcontroller projects, but I definetely would want to take a
> look at it.

It's fairly simple. Pick up a flash chip datasheet and you've
actually already got mostly all you need to know. The flashrom source
code can also help, but be careful to not get unneccessarily confused
by the code to deal with different types of SPI bus masters in there.

> And the development board is easily available and cheap in Germany.

Yup. What city are you in?

//Peter