[coreboot] [RFC] Universal panic-room serial console, for x86 BIOS bootblock

Pete Batard pete at akeo.ie
Tue Jul 12 14:05:08 CEST 2011

Hi Tadas,

On 2011.07.12 02:42, Tadas Slotkus wrote:
> currently my plan is to run flashrom out of cache (in romstage),
> transfer rom image over console (serial, maybe later ne2k) in small
> chunks like ~256 bytes so that cache_as_ram.inc would require less
> changes.

That sounds good (and quite a lot of work!). If you manage to produce a
flashrom that can run in CAR for romstage, I'm pretty sure it could
easily be reused for flashrom in a CAR payload for panic-room.

By the way, if you need a Y-modem implementation in C, for serial
transfers, I can provide one, as I had to implement such a feature on
another project (which was actually a panic-room payload, but for
Realtek SoCs).

It is available here:
http://code.google.com/p/xtreamerdev/source/browse/trunk/rtdsr/ymodem.c
(complete source package:
http://xtreamerdev.googlecode.com/files/rtdsr_0.6_src.tar.gz)

The license is GPLv3, but I'm open to relicensing that specific part of
the code (as well as the .h) to GPLv2.1 or later if needed, as I was the
only contributor on that project and everything reused was either
GPLv2.1 or later, or public domain.

> Haven't thought about usb debugport, since even this is quite
> hard task for me.

I think a lot of people will be happy if you just complete the flashrom
goal. I'm definitely one of them.

Regards,

/Pete