[coreboot] Coreboot on AMD Geode; No VGA

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jul 12 19:44:30 CEST 2011

Andrew Bolster wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to set up coreboot +
> seabios so that it actually uses the VGA?

Are you sure there actually is VGA? For the Geode SC series it was
neccessary to have a VSM that would emulate a fair bit of the legacy
VGA. I think LX has some hardware support, but not the full monty. If
you already have the correct VSM in your VSA blob then "all" you need
is to extract the VGA BIOS from the original BIOS, and add that into
coreboot.rom as pcixxxx,yyyy.rom where xxxx,yyyy is the graphics PCI
id.

> I've tried the rational combinations of enabling and disabling the option
> roms,

Note that coreboot should not be initializing option ROMs, instead
SeaBIOS should be used for that. So disable option ROMs in coreboot
config.

> but I assume that I need a vgabios.bin?

Yes. Try the bios_extract tool to grab the VGA BIOS out of the
factory BIOS image.

//Peter