[coreboot] [RFC] flashrom as a payload requirements, for updating firmware without OS help.

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Fri Jul 15 18:29:15 CEST 2011

Am Freitag, 15. Juli 2011 15:06:32, Tadas Slotkus schrieb:
> If our codebase is ready, I mean the
> default settings build the right image, we may want to provide similar
> tool too.
I fear this will only work reliably once we have vendor adoption
(because they're free to change board designs while keeping the model
name and things like that).

> When using SeaBios you can select another payload (flashrom)
> to execute instead of loading OS.  Also for payload development, little
> trimmed SeaBios with CBFS support could be used - this invokes flashrom
> or the development payload or even another full-featured SeaBios.
This works with FILO, too.

> What do uefi experts think? I saw there are dozens of stuff in the
> specification? But less about recovery.
The "standard" way of doing updates reserves the top 64KB and allows to
swap them in hardware (at least that's the way on Intel). We have
mechanisms with a more flexible (software-only) design, but they're
under-develop
ed.

Patrick