[coreboot] [GSoC] Coreboot Spice Payload

Leandro Dorileo ldorileo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:50:59 CET 2011

Hi Marc

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Marc Jones <marcj303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Leandro Dorileo <ldorileo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Guys!
>>
>> I saw coreboot was accepted as mentoring organization for GSoC this
>> year once again. I want to participate this year again as student and
>> I came with the idea of a Coreboot Spice Payload. I wrote a small
>> text[1] describing the idea.
>>
>> I would like to hear from you what you think. I have discussed with
>> some guys already but would like to open it a bit more.
>>
>> [1] - http://vps.dorilex.net/~dorileo/coreboot-spice-payload.txt
>>
>> Thanks....
>>
>> --
>> Leandro Dorileo
>
> Hi Leandro,
>
> Yes, coreboot is accepting student applications for GSoC again this
> year. Your idea looks very interesting. I think that expanding the
> payload offerings for coreboot and developing with libpayload would
> make a good project. Have you thought about what kind of hardware you
> would develop on?

All I need is something with a ethernet, video, serial and keyboard
devices - no special requirements on that. I own a coreboot supported
mainboard - the one I used in 2009. But I`m considering to buy an
allix.* + flexyice - I haven`t decided yet, can you suggest anything?

> Who uses Spice today?

Spice is mainly supported by RedHat, it was developed by Qumranet who
used originally supported spice on their desktop virtualization
product named SolidIce. Now RedHat has implemented spice on open
source products like qemu to support server side and their enterprise
desktop clients.

> What type of systems or users
> would take advantage of a Spice Payload?

Once we`re talking about remote desktop virtualization anyone who
wants do shrink the expenses with hardware and hardware upgrades on
desktops. The real operating system runs in the server which off loads
the heavy CPU tasks, you can have a small and cheap piece of hardware
capable of running any modern and powerful desktop operating system.

--
Leandro Dorileo