[coreboot] Board Incompatible but chipset is?

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:30:08 CEST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Joseph Smith <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:20:45 -0400, Brandon <ssjgoku75x at aol.com> wrote:
>> Hello. I have a Tyan Trinity S1857 board and according to your
>> compatible chipset list, it's chipset (Intel 440BX) is compatible. Is
>> there anyway I can get a port of some kind? I'm really not good with C
>> at all and I'd really like use Coreboot. Any reply will be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
> Sorry Brandon, If you want coreboot on your board you will have to do the
> port yourself.

The good news is that there should be very little C to write if your
chipset is already supported.  If you're willing to invest some time,
you should:

1. Get a null modem serial cable and another PC so you can capture the
serial output
2. Make a copy of your original BIOS and make plans for recovery in
case something fails
3. Figure out which supported board is closest to yours (maybe change
the SuperIO in devicetree.cb)
4. Try it and post your serial log to the list with specific questions.

You could also try it on qemu first to familiarize yourself with the
building process.

Good luck,
Myles