[coreboot] Fwd: use gcc 4.6.0 link time optimization to reduce coreboot execution time

Scott Duplichan scott at notabs.org
Sun May 1 06:11:37 CEST 2011

Anton Kochkov wrote:

] May be add something like profiling option with patch for implementing
] such feature?
] Best regards,
] Anton Kochkov.

Hello Anton,

In the past I have seen such logging code added to a BIOS code base.
It was for Phoenix legacy if I remember correctly. A challenge with
this method is using it to exactly pinpoint a problem. For this board
I have the luxury of a jtag debugging setup, the Sage SmartProbe. This
arrangement is very handy for boot time reduction. I do a crude form
of profiling by breaking in randomly during post. I still find it
spending some time in lzma decode of ramstage. That time was reduced
by the -flto compiler option.

Thanks,
Scott