[coreboot] "No valid softstrap base found." hang?

Alp Eren Köse alperenkose at buyutech.com.tr
Mon Oct 24 13:46:29 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your help this far, I have managed to get serial
output of my board finally now:)

But now the system dies just after I start it with the following messages:
---------- serial output -----------

US15W Chipset

Unknown (07)Setting up ACPI PM1 block Setting up ACPI P block done.

Setting up RAM controller.

No valid softstrap base found.

I don't know why and how, but somehow the "base_addr" variable in the
"static u32 detect_softstrap_base(void)" function
in file "src/northbridge/intel/sch/raminit.c" gets 0, because of something
about the reg32 variable not being any of (4,5,6 or 7).

Does anyone have any idea for the cause of the problem and solution?
And by the way what does the softstrap mean, what is it for?

Thanks in advance,
Alp