[coreboot] [off-topic] Treacherous computing in Windows 8 ?

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Tue Sep 6 14:13:35 CEST 2011

Sorry for the noise. I just read this and haven't really analized it.
It looks like more of the same trend of locking down the software
users can use by checking signatures in the boot loader.
What I haven't researched is whether that will imply also that
firmware needs to be signed, where will the truststores be (so who will
control what software can run) or whether "secure" hardware will
be very popular in the market or just a failed attempt at seizing power, or
whether this will divide options into only two : open hardware with free software
or closed hardware with propietary preapproved telecontrolled software.

Heise: Windows 8 to include secure boot using UEFI 2.3.1
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Windows-8-to-include-secure-boot-using-UEFI-2-3-1-1335246.html
(I think there's a German version too)