[coreboot] barbarians at the gates

Peter Schmidt ps947 at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 12 13:06:07 CEST 2011

>> seems like more and more dongle-functionality is going into UEFI:
>>
>> http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Windows-8-to-include-secure-boot-using-UEFI-2-3-1-1335246.html
>> http://vr-zone.com/articles/the-upgrade-path-to-ivy-bridge-might-be-blocked-by-changes-to-uefi/13513.html
>How is this relevant to coreboot?

Coreboot is the alternative to UEFI.
If UEFI is such a threat to customer freedom and also, if problems are expected, that these are two reasons to have a second look at coreboot.

I am not interested in running a cracked Windows or whatever, I just do not want this functionality on my hardware.
Also, I do not wish to pay for its developement!

With Linux there are already problems with UEFI, because the mainboard/UEFI manufacturers do not adhere to the standards. (No link this time, please search yourself.)
I do not like that as well.

And since I am the customer, please, let me decide what I pay for.

Peter