[coreboot] GSoC project ideas

Paul Geraedts p.f.j.geraedts at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 02:22:02 CEST 2012

Hi Svetoslav,

On Wed Apr 4 23:17:46 CEST 2012, Svetoslav Trochev wrote:

>>> - Flash ICE device with SPI support.
>>> - Flash ICE device with LPC/FWH support.
>>> - Serial emulation for LPC buses on a configurable I/O port with USB
>>> output on the other side.
>>> - Dual serial emulation for two LPC buses either on the same device or
>>> with two identical devices and a fast bus in between.
>>> - Serial emulation for PCI buses (i.e. PCI/serial card).
>>
>> Currently I am working towards items 1 and 3 of your list. Eventually I
>> want to use this hardware to replace the flash content of my MSI Wind
>> U100 netbook with free software (openec, coreboot, seabios, ipxe, grub2,
>> etc). I want to keep my implementation sufficiently generic to allow for
>> extensions like items 2, 4 and 5 of your list.
>
> I am also interested in item 1. [1] But looks like you are far ahead
> of me. :) Currently I am waiting for my hardware to arrive. I ordered
> Open Workbench Logic Sniffer [2]. Do you think I can help you in your
> work?

I am interested to see if we eventually can port the Papilio code base
to the OLS. It may be challenging: the OLS has a rather limited power
supply and not too many GPIO pins. I do not own one, so you could help
me with this.

For the time being I would recommend to learn more about writing proper
RTL code in VHDL and play around with existing code examples [1]. You
typically do not learn this stuff overnight, but I think it is worth the
the effort.

Regards,
Paul

[1] http://www.gadgetfactory.net/