[coreboot] coreboot Digest, Vol 86, Issue 47

Ken Phillis Jr kphillisjr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 21:28:50 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Ken,
>

> first off topic.
>
> 0. The spelling is coreboot, i. e. all lowercase.
> 1. Please do not send HTML message to mailing lists [1].
> 2. Using Gmail Web interface the down side is it wraps line
> automatically which is bad if you paste stuff. Since they will not fix
> that, you should think about using a mail program.

I normally have "rich formatting" disabled ( html messages ), however
i forgot this.

> Am Freitag, den 13.04.2012, 23:31 -0500 schrieb Ken Phillis Jr:
> > Just another board support request... If there's any other information that
> > is required, please ask me...
> >
> > General Board information:
> > ===============================================================================
> > Vendor: GIGABYTE
> > Model: GA-MA790XT-UD4P (rev. 1.0)
> > Product Page: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3010
> > North Bridge:  AMD 790X
> > South Bridge: AMD SB750
>
> [?]
>
> As Peter wrote, you need to do the port yourself. Two good things
> though, coreboot folks will help you if you have problems and your
> components seem to be supported. So if you are willing to spend some
> time, you should be able to complete that port.

I do expect some hassles with actual board to get fully configured.
This is one of the Gigabyte boards that features dual-Bios on the
board directly.

> Please read the coreboot Wiki. You need to make sure to recover. Is the
> flash chip socketed on your board? If yes, just get some back up chips,
> find an already supported board similar to yours, build an image,
> connect a second system over serial line to capture debugging output and
> work your way through it. If something fails, just boot the system with
> your back up flash chip, switch the flash chip and write another
> (hopefully improved) image to it.

There is no flash chip socket on this board, and I do not have another
computer that features a serial port.

Actually, on a side note, what's the past trial and error that
happened when dealing with other gigabyte boards that feature a
dual-bios setup? On this board, there is two flash chips:

I don't know what the ITE IT8720F super i/o chip clearly states that i
cannot write to the bios on this chip, and when you look at the board,
The chip is physically located over near the PCI Slots near the edge
of the board.

The other flash chip is the south bridge for the board. This is
located over near the SATA ports under the heatsink.

And finally, I do know that the bios chips are located near the
southbridge. They have labels of M_BIOS, and B_BIOS.

I know that there is a similar board already supported in CoreBoot...
That board is the Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H.
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3395#ov

The only differences on this is that the dual-bios is located near the
Super I/O  that  near the main power connector.