[coreboot] Patch merged into coreboot/master: e4fc528 Add the memory reference code binary for sandybridge chipsets

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Apr 16 17:03:39 CEST 2012

Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > the following patch was just integrated into master:
> >
> >     Add the memory reference code binary for sandybridge chipsets
> >
> > Reviewed-By: Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> at Mon Apr 16 01:12:57 2012, giving +2
>
> ?

For the first time in history, coreboot now supports the very latest
hardware platforms from both AMD and Intel!

I think this is an incredibly exciting development, and adding the
MRC is an absolute no-brainer.

Calling vendor reference code hooks for parts of the initialization
is not ideal, but it is a lot better than not supporting a platform
at all. For industry (which we want to reach) it may actually *be*
ideal, since they are already familiar with the way the reference
code works, so understanding coreboot becomes just a little bit
easier.

I still believe that we the coreboot community can create more
innovative init code, as we have done for a decade already, but
someone has to do it. So far I don't know of significant effort to
create Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge memory controller init, but if one
is underway then once it is done I would suggest using that by
default, and relegating the MRC to an expert Kconfig option.

I think Ron's effort on native Intel graphics init by refactoring KMS
drivers is a great idea to have more native init, and it could well
be *the* way we will finallyx get rid of the sucky VGA BIOS!

I'm very thankful for the efforts David, Stefan, Ron, and the rest
of their team at Google have put into making coreboot a serious
alternative for the latest Intel hardware in the industry!

You rock guys!

//Peter