[coreboot] Data exchange between coreboot - seabios - option rom

Christian Gmeiner christian.gmeiner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:36:58 CEST 2012

Hi all,

my vacation is over and I need to look in some stuff deeper to finally
get the combination coreboot/seabios fully working. The only missing part
aside from a lot of testing is the video bios stuff. Here I am working on
a patch series to extend seabios vga option rom to support flat panels.

I would like to to use EPI (http://www.epi-standard.org/) for the description
of the panels. Due EOL changes my target hardware supports different
kind of flat panels (with different timings). I can detect what panel is used
with the help of an i2c eeprom. So the normal CBFS will be extended by
n EPI raw files. And here the troubles begins :)

1) Can I add symbolic links during runtime

It would be fine if somewhere during the boot (coreboot or seabios) I
can readout
the needed bytes from the eeprom, decide which EPI file to use and create
something line a symlink to the choosen one.

panel.epi -> 640_480_panel_name.epi

2) Can I load a CBFS file in the option rom?

The idea is to load the EPI raw file and provide it via VBE (vbe_104f15) BIOS
call. So the geode lx option rom can read out the timing informations via VBE
and setup the video mode.

The result should be something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83CDqJMblkw

greets
---
Christian Gmeiner, MSc