[coreboot] Coreboot with a Linux kernel and initramfs as payload.

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Fri Aug 31 17:41:18 CEST 2012

Am 31.08.2012 16:41, schrieb ron minnich:
> It's been several years since I've done this. However, I don't believe
> mkelfimage is needed.
>
> You need to build a kernel image that contains the kernel, initramfs,
> and command line args. If my memory is correct, this is now possible
> with the standard kernel build process and it creates and ELF file.
> Since cbfstool can parse and ELF file, you should be able to use the
> standard coreboot flow.
That won't work since Linux still requires the "bootblock" at 0x7d000
(or whereever that was). You only get that when using a "linux" loader.

Still, mkelfimage isn't exactly a well thought out tool. Take an ELF
linux image and add the bootblock section and you avoid a copy on
runtime and lots of complication of mkelfimage (eg. that stub it adds).
Never found the time to implement that, though.

Patrick