No subject

Sun Dec 9 17:34:17 CET 2012

will always be 24 bytes, and the LinuxBIOS Table header will never be
extended in the future (or is this just a bug that makes "lbtdump"
unable to handle forward/backward compatability)?

The file "src/include/boot/linuxbios_tables.h" defines 3 types of memory ranges:

#define LB_MEM_RAM       1	/* Memory anyone can use */
#define LB_MEM_RESERVED  2	/* Don't use this memory region */
#define LB_MEM_TABLE     16	/* Ram configuration tables are kept in */

The file "util/lbtdump/lbtdump.c" doesn't agree:

		switch(rec->map[i].type) {
		case 1: mem_type = "ram"; break;
		case 3: mem_type = "acpi"; break;
		case 4: mem_type = "nvs"; break;
		default:
		case 2: mem_type = "reserved"; break;
		}

Can I assume that the defines in "linuxbios_tables.h" are out-of-date,
and that the memory type field is the same as specified by version 2
of the ACPI specification (but perhaps not version 3, as that defines
a new "5 = faulty RAM" type)? If "linuxbios_tables.h" is out-of-date,
is "16 = RAM configuration tables are stored in" still possible on
older versions of LinuxBIOS (and how would I detect which version of
LinuxBIOS is present, considering there's no version number in the
LinuxBIOS Table header)?

What is the LB_TAG_HWRPB structure. Is it something to do with a
"Hardware Restart Parameter Block", and what does it contain? For e.g.
would a value of zero indicate that the computer was shutdown
correctly before boot, and a non-zero value indicate that the computer
crashed or had hardware problems?

Would I also be correct to assume that a payload doesn't need to care
about any of the "cmos_entries" and "cmos_enums", unless a BIOS
setup/configuration utility is being built into the payload?
Alternatively, could/would a payload search for strings to find CMOS
values (e.g. search for the cmos_entry with the name string
"power_on_after_fail" to see if additional hardware testing can be
skipped, search for "baud_rate" to determine the serial port
configuration, etc)?

> It is of course not unique. It is the index of the vendor name within
> the strings array of struct lb_mainboard. Since we're not trying to
> close things down, we don't have to work with magic numbers. So nothing
> needs to stay unique.

Of course - it's similar to the way SMI/DMI does strings, yet are the
strings themselves guaranteed to be unique, or is it possible for one
manufacturer to use an identifying string in the future that another
(possibly out of business) manufacturer had used in the past?

Motherboard manufacturer identification is one of the things that
(IMHO) should be unique. The motherboard part number string should
also be unique for that manufacturer ID. Otherwise it'd be difficult
for payloads/utilities/OSs to use these IDs to avoid any hardware
problems in specific motherboards.

> > > They're not used by payloads (except the Linux kernel)
> >
> >  Surely LinuxBIOS isn't intended as a "Linux only" BIOS though....
>
> Of course not. ACPI is not really useful for payloads though, unless the
> payload wants to carry a full blown ACPI interpreter. Which rules out
> basically anything but an OS.

I can think of a variety of uses, ranging from utilities that do
nothing more than display hardware information, to diagnostics, to
benchmarking, to hyper-visors, to full OSs...

> > > yes, hardware is completely up when linuxbios is done.
> >
> >  I tried it on a dual CPU Bochs emulation (second CPU was left in "wait
> >  for SIPI" state) - I'm guessing I need to enable multi-CPU support
> >  via. some compile time option for the "emulation/qemu-i386" target?
>
> Yes, the emulation/qemu-i386 is per default not supporting SMP.

I'm becoming skeptical here. I can't find anything in LinuxBIOS source
code that starts AP CPUs, but in "src/arch/i386/smp/mpspec.c" I did
find:

/* If we assume a symmetric processor configuration we can
 * get all of the information we need to write the processor
 * entry from the bootstrap processor.
 * Plus I don't think linux really even cares.
 * Having the proper apicid's in the table so the non-bootstrap
 *  processors can be woken up should be enough.
 */

It might be possible that no AP CPUs are ever started, and are instead
left in a "wait for SIPI" default state, assumed to be identical to
the BSP, and even assumed to be working (no BIST checks).

AFAIK the normal approach is to send a broadcast INIT-SIPI sequence
and wait to see which AP CPUs start (if any), and then either record
details somewhere or have each AP CPU add itself to the MP
specification and ACPI tables, then setup their MTTRs, thermal
monitoring, HT links, SMBASE, etc before sending the APs back to the
"wait for SIPI" state - i.e. in theory it should be mostly
"configuration-less".

In any case, I'm guessing I need to get LinuxBIOS to generate MP
specification and ACPI tables to suit the number of CPUs being
emulated by Bochs/Qemu. Is this as simple as adding something like
"option CPUs = ?" to the "targets/emulation/qemu-i386/Config.lb" file?
I'm guessing it's more involved than this, as I couldn't find an
example in the "Config.lb" of other targets.

> >  Either:
> >  a) PCI buses and bridges aren't guaranteed to be enumerated, or
> >  b) PCI buses and bridges are guaranteed to be enumerated but PCI
> >  devices aren't guaranteed to be assigned resources, or
> >  c) PCI buses and bridges are guaranteed to be enumerated and PCI
> >  devices are guaranteed to have resources assigned (including ROMs)
> >  d) PCI buses and bridges are guaranteed to be enumerated and PCI
> >  devices are guaranteed to have resources assigned (except ROMs)
>
> >  "They have their resources." would mean either c) or d), where each
> >  device may or may not be in a power saving state (if supported by the
> >  device), and may or may not be still configured to use MSI (if
> >  supported by the device)....
>
> yes, either c or d. You choose.

You mean all LinuxBIOS developers are willing to make sure all PCI
device ROMs either have physical addresses assigned or don't have
physical addresses assigned based on my advice? Perhaps I've
misunderstood... :-)

> > > Not at the moment. But in General this is easy. If no VGA class PCI
> > > device is there, the machine is 99.99% headless.
> >
> >  And if a VGA class PCI device is present, you've got no idea if no
> >  monitor is attached...
>
> Obviously not. and if the device does not do EDD you have no reliable
> way of finding out either.

There's a simple and easy way to find out if a monitor is attached or
not, and it doesn't involve messing about with EDD - simply give the
end-user the option of setting (or not setting) a value in the CMOS.

My (limited) reverse engineering has already shown that there's CMOS
entries for a serial port (possibly intended for setting up a serial
cable to communicate with a terminal emulator?).

> > > What would you like to assume?
> >
> >  Video card set to default "80 * 25" text mode accessible at 0xB8000;
> >  or some video mode set with display memory directly accessible at some
> >  physical address (where video mode details and physical address
> >  included in LinuxBIOS Table); or AGP aperture configured, AGP transfer
> >  speed set, MTRRs set to "write combining" and some video mode set with
> >  display memory directly accessible at some physical address; or
> >  anything else, as long as a payload writer knows how much or how
> >  little they can assume about it (and hopefully doesn't need to
> >  implement a wide range of video drivers just to do a "Hello World"
> >  that works on all video cards)... ;)
>
> Ok, the video hardware is in the state that the VGA Option ROM sets it
> to. Since that is closed source, we can not guarantee anything,
> obviously. A rule of thumb tells you that 80x25 at B8000 is a reasonable
> assumption. The AGP setup is chipset specific, so it might vary from
> chipset to chipset.

Cool :-)

Next question would be how to get that to work under Qemu and/or
Bochs. I realise this may not be easy (I've had problems with Bochs
before, as the VGA ROM seems to behave like an ISA card ROM and
doesn't behave like a PCI card ROM - i.e. the ROM ignores settings in
PCI configuration space)...

Thanks,

Brendan