[coreboot] Coreboot + SeaBIOS on GA-M52S-S3P?

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:27:49 CET 2012

	I wonder, did anyone try Coreboot and SeaBIOS on Gigabyte's
	GA-M52S-S3P?

	I'm mainly interested in booting Linux 2.6-based GNU system via
	GRUB 2 from a SATA HDD (with GPT), but I'd like to have other
	boot devices (floppy and DVD drives, USB Flash) and systems
	supported as well.

	One more issue is that the BIOS IC (labelled MX 25L4005AM2C) is
	soldered to the board.  I wonder, what'd be the recovery
	procedure should the newly uploaded firmware fail to boot?

	TIA.

    The backstory is as follows.  Suddenly, the vendor's BIOS has
    decided that it needs a backup.  Without hesitation, it choose one
    of the HDD's attached, and wrote its copy there, reserving some 2113
    sectors at its tail as a “Host Protected Area” (HPA.)  Effectively,
    this has invalidated the drive's GPT, rendering the system
    unbootable.  Seemingly, no data (apart from the backup GPT) was
    lost, but I'd like to avoid the surprises like this in the future.

    As I was unable to find the relevant BIOS configuration software for
    AwardBIOS, I'm now looking if I should abandon such a misbehaved
    variety of proprietary firmware completely for something free.

--
FSF associate member #7257