[coreboot] flash-chip (and compatibles)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Feb 16 02:44:02 CET 2012

Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> I was pointed to this one: A25L032-F
> http://nl.farnell.com/amic/a25l032-f/memory-flash-spi-32m-8dip/dp/1907085
> (There's also a Q version, which I don't think is what I'd want).

Correct. Q is a WSON package which does not fit at all. Make sure you
buy farnell nr. 1907085 and nothing else. A25L032-F is indeed the
accurate manufacturer's part number, if you order somewhere else.

> I haven't found a 64Mbit chip yet, so I hope I could use a linux
> kernel as payload using a 4MB one (the current 32Mbit)

Winbond W25Q64CV

But Winbond's distributors AVNET and Digi-Key,

only have SO-8 in stock, and you wanted DIP. You could look for
adapters, but then you must do some soldering.

AVNET only have SO-8 stock in Asia. You'll have to pay import fees
and tax. Digi-Keys f-ing website barfs some idiotic error at me
whenever I try to use it nowadays.

You can buy DIP from bios-repair.co.uk, but they only have the older
revision W25Q64BVAIG. For once they don't charge more than AVNET&co
in single quantity.

Click Winbond, then there's W25Q64BVAIG 64Mb PDIP top left in the
product listing.