[coreboot] Supported Motherboards with SMM

Yulong Zhang yulong.coreboot at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 21:31:26 CEST 2012

Hi Fengwei,

To my knowledge, the following boards/platforms have already had SMM supported:

ASUS:		m2v-mx_se
GETAC:		p470
IBASE:		mb899
INTEL:		d945gclf, emeraldlake2
IWAVE:		iWRainbowG6
KONTRON:	986lcd-m
LENOVO:	T60, X60
RCA:		rm4100
RODA:		rk886ex
SAMSUNG:	lumpy, stumpy
THOMSON:	ip1000

If you don't want to spend effort to enable SMM by yourself, the above boards/platforms might be considered.
However, you can definitely enable SMM by yourself. Basically it requires the following steps (I assume that you wanna send sw smi):
0)	Of course the processor should have SMM and the SB should be able to generate sw smi#
1)	Initialize the SMRAM, by copying smi handlers into this region (SMRAM relocation is needed if you want the entry point to be 0xa8000 instead of 0x30000)
2)	Configure the southbridge, by setting the SMBUS/PM related registers (plz refer to the SB RRG/RPR/BDG). Don't forget to set the EOS bit, otherwise SMI# won't reach the processor
3)	If you also need ACPI modifications, you should adjust FADT

I am just a newbie to Coreboot. Plz correct me if I made a mistake.

BTW, it seems that Coreboot likes the SMM-free fashion, according to my observation. I am not sure if this is the design philosophy of Coreboot. If not, I'd like to contribute by adding SMM support.

Best,
Yulong