[coreboot] [flashrom] Flashing capability in coreboot

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri May 4 00:16:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

coreboot has a requirement to store some data in flash to get some
chipsets to work well. There are multiple ways to achieve this:

1. Write flashing code from scratch. Pointless.

2. Use parts of the flashrom codebase or libflashrom. Advantages:
coreboot and flashrom developers often work on both projects, enabling
better cooperation. flashrom has the best chipset/flash support out there.

3. Use parts of the U-Boot codebase (which has drivers derived from
flashrom). Advantages: The codebase is designed with firmware
constraints in mind. http://review.coreboot.org/997 seems to implement this.

As a flashrom developer, I would like to see flashrom code used in
coreboot, and I'm very interested in finding and fixing any obstacles to
that goal.
Patrick, I think you worked on the coreboot patch mentioned above. Could
you tell us about your reasons for choosing option 3, and how we can
make option 2 viable?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--