[coreboot] K7+Sis 741/963, Enquiry

Czerno czernobyl at mail.ru
Thu Nov 22 18:27:44 CET 2012

Hi, List !

Before coming to you I've browsed thru 10 years' list archives subjects and
read ~ 10% of the old mails (!) Maybe this "feat" has earnt me the right to
be so bold as to ask a question.

The Asrock K7S41 board which I would consider for running linuxbios
(coreboot) has :

 - processor : AMD K7 viz. Sempron 2400+ Thoroughbred-B (Cpuid 681)
 - NB : SiS 741 GX
 - SB : SiS 963 L
 - SuperIO : Winbond 83697 HF
 - 256 mega bytes flash (PLCC).

I have a spare BIOS rom (from an identical MoBo that I had to replace) and
I am not overly frigthened at the prospect of "hot swapping" - BTDT ;=)

After the tedious readings and skimming theu the projects old sources, I
seem to grasp that unfortunately the above mentionned processor and
chipsets were not addressed by the official project.

Did someone however try, and hopefully succeed, with linuxbios/coreboot on
hardware at least partly similar to what I would use ?

I think I have adequate understanding of X86 and the PC platform, and I've
got the docs for the chips,- not the K7's BIOS programming guide though -
much can be inferred from the K8's BIOS dev guide and if necessary, missing
MSR settings could be imitated from what the commercial BIOS does, at least
provisionnaly. BTW, does someone on this list work with AMD ? Do you think
there is a chance I - as a mere hobbyist - could get the coveted K7 BIOS
developers guide if I were to ask AMD, by the way ?

Also, is Linux BIOS (v1) the right framework for my hardware ?

Thanks in advance.

PS : I do not "register" with the list, at the moment, I much prefer to
read messages from the archive than receive list e-mail. Hope this is not
an obstacle for getting to your estimated audience.

Regards

--
Czerno