[coreboot] Generic AMD E350 Support

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 01:26:33 CEST 2012

Hi Peter,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

>> > MXIC yep. Solder something to it so that you can reprogram. Use the
>>
>> I was thinking of buying an 8 pin SOIP test clip
>
> Yes, that of course works too.
>

>> > VCC on the chip for programming. Hold the mainboard in reset while
>> > you drive the SPI signals. I would check first that the chipset
>> > doesn't sink too much current. (Ampmeter+2k2 resistor between VCC
>> > and one signal at a time. The current should stay well under 1.5mA.)
>>
>> I have an in-circuit programmer I used on another board (which had a
>> breakout header for the SPI flash). Do you think I could just use this
>> with the board powered-down?
>
> Unsure. You would then be powering one of the 3v3 rails (where the
> flash chip is connected) from the programmer, without powering any
> other rail on the board. The southbridge may not like it at all
> when your programmer drives the SPI pins in that state.

Hmmm, I wonder what the potential for permanent damage is?

So to be safe:
 - Jumper the front panel reset pins
 - Power-on the motherboard
 - Do a current test from VCC to each of the CS#, HOLD#, WP#, SCLK,
SI, and SO pins
 - Connect the programmer without connecting the programmers VCC
 - Program the chip

Regards,

Graeme