[coreboot] F2A85-V PRO as good target? - VGA ROMs?

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Thu Oct 25 22:12:23 CEST 2012

On 25.10.2012 08:59, Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just a small update. I think all BIOSes I have seen have UEFI only VGA BIOS. Now
> question is what we will have to do? I found in the EFI file the 0xaa 0x55 style
> BIOS (20KB big) but the init code has only retf and most likely it contains only
> an atom bios. The int10 may be handled  through int10smm.efi module.
>
> I think we either need VGA BIOS blob or implement the atomBIOS interpreter into
> Seabios...

Still no reply from AMD folks :/ are there some on this list?

In the meanwhile I tried to dump the BIOS style rom I found yesterday with a
atombios dumper and it does indeed show atombios tables.

So, If we don't find a legacy VGA BIOS for trinity, we could just install this
as fake VGA bios and then let linux to post the GPU. Or if someone likes really
adventures we could possibly build into coreboot an AtomBIOS interpreter and do
the legacy VGA modeset ourself.

Thanks
Rudolf