[coreboot] Modern motherboard support - ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0?

František Kučera konference at frantovo.cz
Tue Oct 30 22:55:42 CET 2012

Dne 23.10.2012 10:48, Paul Menzel napsal(a):
> Dear František,
>

> Am Dienstag, den 23.10.2012, 09:52 +0200 schrieb František Kučera:
>
>> I am interested in building high performance workstation completely based
>> on free software -- beside free GNU/Linux distribution I want to use
>> Coreboot.
> welcome!
>
> Please note, although strange in some languages that coreboot is spelled
> all lowercase.

OK, coreboot :-)

>> Important for me is virtualization support including IOMMU/VT-d.
>> Both Intel and AMD are good form me, but AMD seems to be a better choice,
>> isn't it?
> AMD directly contributes code.
>
>> I want to build this computer for myself and later may be offer same model
>> to others.
>> The ASUS M5A88-V looks good and, according to wiki, is supported, but this
>> board is discontinued and even if I can buy one somewhere, the availability
>> is problem.
>> Could you please recommend me some more modern board good for
>> experimenting with Coreboot?
>> What about some board with AMD 990FX e.g. ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0?
>> I have seen that it is supported by Flashrom, so the first step is done.
> Please take a look at the *whole* thread »F2A85-V PRO as good target?«
> on the coreboot list [1]. If you want to reply to it, make sure to
> import the mbox of the archive from [2] to keep the threading.

Thanks for the link, I found here some inspiration.
I am thinking about AMD FX-8350, so I need an AM3+ board.
According to some pictures I found, Sabertooth 990 FX seems to have ITE
IT8721F,
which should be - al least partially - supported:
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2011-September/066483.html
(but I didn't find it in Supported Chipsets and Devices in wiki)

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Also thanks. I will probably buy this board (if I don't find better one)
and post more info about it.

František