[coreboot] starting with coreboot (questions with qemu-kvm: Could not find file 'fallback/payload'. ?)

cheng renquan crquan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:23:53 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I got a Cisco UCS and want to check if anyone had coreboot running on it?
or I'd like to port coreboot onto it, to replace the default ami
proprietary code;

have just started playing with coreboot this week, trying run it with
qemu, but have met problems:
1) git clone get a copy of latest coreboot code
2) make menuconfig; use all options default
3) make; building on a CentOS 5.8 failed with some ld seg fault
4) looked up some coreboot wiki entries; tried make crossgcc
    got build/coreboot.rom successfully;
5) qemu-kvm -L build -bios coreboot.rom -hda /dev/zero -serial stdio
    failed with "Could not find file 'fallback/payload'."

Wrote coreboot table at: 07fe1c00, 0x1e0 bytes, checksum 8f60
coreboot table: 504 bytes.
Multiboot Information structure has been written.
 0. FREE SPACE 07fe9c00 00016400
 1. GDT        07fe0200 00000200
 2. IRQ TABLE  07fe0400 00001000
 3. SMBIOS     07fe1400 00000800
 4. COREBOOT   07fe1c00 00008000
CBFS: Could not find valid CBFS master header at fffcfc39: 4f524243 vs 6c91522d.
CBFS: Could not find file 'fallback/payload'.
Could not find a payload

But actually use cbfstool print shows that it has fallback/payload,
I tried menuconfig again to change some options, but still fruitless:
1) tried change ROM size, seems currently only 128KB or 256KB could
boot under qemu,
    other larger ROM with qemu just get blank screen, blank serial output
     I have a UCS rom file in 16MB, but qemu seems unable to boot with 16MB rom?
2) change payload from SeaBIOS to FILO, the default version 0.6.0
build failed with
    cbfs_find_file redefinition error, use FILO HEAD could build, but failed
    with same above "Could not find a payload"

$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom print
coreboot.rom: 256 kB, bootblocksize 848, romsize 262144, offset 0x0
Alignment: 64 bytes

Name                           Offset     Type         Size
cmos_layout.bin                0x0        cmos layout  1160
fallback/romstage              0x4c0      stage        9817
fallback/coreboot_ram          0x2b80     stage        30314
fallback/payload               0xa240     payload      75417
(empty)                        0x1c940    null         144168

$ grep ^CBFS: build/serail-output-3
CBFS: Looking for 'fallback/coreboot_ram'
CBFS: found.
CBFS: loading stage fallback/coreboot_ram @ 0x100000 (147456 bytes),
entry @ 0x100000
CBFS: Looking for 'pci1013,00b8.rom'
CBFS: Could not find file 'pci1013,00b8.rom'.
CBFS: Could not find valid CBFS master header at fffcfc39: 4f524243 vs 579100c9.
CBFS: Could not find file 'pci10ec,8139.rom'.
CBFS: Could not find valid CBFS master header at fffcfc39: 4f524243 vs 579100c9.
CBFS: Could not find file 'pci1af4,1002.rom'.