[coreboot] Summer project

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Apr 15 15:38:49 CEST 2013

Hello Martijn,

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:23:54 +0200
Martijn Bastiaan <martijn.bastiaan at gmail.com> wrote:

> For a while now, I've been interested in the development of Coreboot.
> I really like the idea of an open-source firmware, which could
> possibly replace all the current propriertary ones. At the same time
> I'm looking for a project I can make a (ever so small) contribution
> to. I hope to do that this summer vacation, in order to expand my
> current skillset.

You have not mentioned it at all although it might suit you very well:
http://www.coreboot.org/GSoC

> That last sentence implies why I'm writing to this mailing list
> instead of starting right away: I feel like I (currently) lack the
> necessary skills to make a meaningful contribution, or to understand
> the codebase at all. I would however like to make an effort to change
> that situation, but I don't know where to start. Let me start by
> introducting myself so you can decide whether I'm even remotely suited
> :-).

Anyone putting some effort into learning some basics can help in one
way or another. This is true for any (FOSS) project IMHO. The main
question is usually if the open tasks that are interesting to you can
be solved by you.

> AmCAT allowed me to develop my Python skills to a point
> where I can call myself experienced. I have no significant experience
> writing in C, apart from the operating systems course[3] I took and
> passed last term.

Understanding and writing C is naturally one of the most important
skills when working on the core parts of coreboot. But OTOH this means
that one is forced to learn that quickly when trying to solve related
problems.

> I would love to hear your advice on the matter. What literature do you
> recommend? Or would I be better suited for another project maybe?

I found my lack of x86 knowledge way more challenging than anything
else. The hardware in use today evolved over a very long period of time
and much of this history including numerous tiny, awkward details are
the reason for how things (have to) work in coreboot.

Take a look at these links to understand what I mean with
"challenging" :)
http://www.coreboot.org/Datasheets#Intel
http://lennartb.home.xs4all.nl/coreboot/coreboot.html