[coreboot] On loongson CPU or MIPS ARCH

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Apr 29 04:51:14 CEST 2013

li guang wrote:
> > Don't get me wrong, coreboot is great
> > for x86 but for loongson its init framework is somewhat overkill and
> > initing naively is more appropriate. What do you think to use as
> > payload? You need something as GRUB for it since the chip is too small
> > to hold a kernel anyway.
> Yes, I'm querying coreboot for the similar consideration.

Know that Vladimir is the GRUB maintainer, so he might have some bias.

> Is payload indispensable?

You do need some kind of payload, but..

> can we directly load kernel image?

..it's possible to make a kernel the payload, if the boot flash is
big enough. If not, the best solution depends on what software is
required to load the kernel on the given hardware platform.