[coreboot] Please tell us more about Falco, Peppy, Slippy, Bold and Pit!

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 5 23:16:33 CET 2013

Dear Aaron,

thanks a lot for your quick and interesting reply!

Am Mittwoch, den 04.12.2013, 17:49 -0600 schrieb Aaron Durbin:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > developers at Google started upstreaming their patches for their new
> > devices. For example the boards Falco, Peppy, Pit and Slippy are now in
> > the coreboot repository. Big thanks for that.
>
> Slippy is a reference board that can't be bought.
> Peppy is the Acer C720
> Falco is the HP Chromebook 14.
>
> Those 3 are all haswell.

So what are Pit and Bolt? Can those be bought?

> > Could you please write a summary mail or create Wiki pages, what
> > Chromebooks these refer to and what features they have?
>
> As for features... parallel cpu bring up and parallel SMM relocation.
> It uses relocatable ramstage, dynamic cbmem, and a few other things
> that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I guess, all of them use native graphics initialization (Fast User
Interface (FUI)).

> If you have questions about anything in particular can provide more
> insight.

I’d be very much interested in timing data and comparison to older
systems.

[…]

> I have more stuff queued up from the baytrail work, but
> that can be found in our repo. Actually, some of it can be upstreamed
> now. I generalized the parallel cpu bring up and SMM relocation paths
> so others can use it as well.
>
> See https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/coreboot/+/refs/heads/chromeos-2013.04/src/cpu/x86/mp_init.c
> as the library the following as the usage example (look for
> 'flight_record'):
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/coreboot/+/refs/heads/chromeos-2013.04/src/soc/intel/baytrail/cpu.c

What existing/old boards would easily profit from this? Even the i945
based boards (Core 2 Duo CPUs I believe)?

Thanks,

Paul