[coreboot] Request to see if Coreboot will work for a Gigabyte BRIX GB-XM14-1037

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Sat Dec 7 03:05:17 CET 2013

On 12/06/2013 05:21 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> No.
>
> Unless you have strong x86 firmware development background you can
> spend n+5 years learning about the field, trying to port coreboot,
> failing, developing some support tools, trying to port coreboot
> again and finally maybe succeeding.

That was a startling response.

I suspect that your #1 user facing FAQ:
  http://www.coreboot.org/FAQ#Will_coreboot_work_on_my_machine.3F

is horribly misleading.  It suggests sunshine and hope.

If I were to change the second paragraph as follows:

  If your board is not already supported, it will likely take
  you years of work to port coreboot to operate correctly on it.

  If you do not see it in the above sources, please send the following
  to the mailing list:

And then change the final paragraph to read:
  Usually in less than a day, someone will respond on the mailing list,
  most often with bad news.  However, it is possible that your board
  is supported, or that support is under development, so it won't hurt to ask.

Would that be more accurate?

Cheers,

Jeremy