[coreboot] Removing microcode updates from blobs

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko phcoder at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 11:39:56 CET 2013

On 14.12.2013 07:46, mrnuke wrote:
> On 12/14/2013 12:36 AM, ron minnich wrote:
>> And I think it even worse to put the microcode blobs in a location in
>> the tree that implies, by its existence, that you can build without
>> them and get a more free, working firmware image.
>>
> You can't have a working build on a bunch of recent hardware without
> blobs. So the assumption that you can build without blobs is false.
> Pure and simple.

What about making it explicit and forbid builds without blobs repo on
cpus which have microcode update? The forbidding part would be just one
line per CPU and those whi remove it modify source, so they take
responsibility for themselves if something goes wrong.
I'm not fan of running without microcode update and I agree with you in
most points. I see advantage in maintainance by using separate repo for
thing under different license but since I'm not the one doing most of
the maintainance it's purely decision of those who do (do-o-cracy).