[coreboot] Removing microcode updates from blobs

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 19:02:11 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Kyösti Mälkki <kyosti.malkki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Microcode update files downloaded from Intel or AMD sites may contain
> licensing terms not compatible with GPLv2. Those original license texts have
> not been enclosed in the same commit with microcode update when they were
> submitted to coreboot.git repository and for some cases they may not have
> allowed redistribution in any form.

Given the amount of time we spent in discussions with AMD ca. 2006/7,
about making the microcode license work, this is one argument I'm not
going to believe. The vendors have been good about making sure they
don't break GPLv2.

> With this quote, I do not understand why you are against moving microcodes
> to blobs.git. I also do not understand why you approved this patch to be
> submitted to coreboot.git without the (required) microcode update files.

because we have something that works today, that we have worked with
the vendors to make sure has working licensing. I can not see how
moving the microcode to a separate repo improves the situation.

ron