[coreboot] building a coreboot (and 100% free software) compatible box

Rudolf Marek r.marek at assembler.cz
Thu Feb 7 10:02:40 CET 2013

>> 1.1. It must be able to run 100% free software. No closed BIOS. No binary
>> firmware loaded to any part of the system with meaningful access to my
>> data. (CPU, GPU, network card, etc.)

Firmwares on latest AMD APUs:

1) NB firmware - most likely needed for PCIe - never tried without
2) SB firmware - IMC - you dont need to load this
3) XHCI - you dont need to  load this - no USB3.0
4) CPU microcode - you will have problems if you don't load this (need to check)
5) ATOM tables - you can interpret them via kernel driver
6) GPU firmware - no GPU and no modesetting

> You lose.

Yes you do. But what about IOMMU? You could authorize DMA accesses but not sure
if this shields SB stuff.

Also, why the backdoor would be in FW when it could be directly in the HW? You
will never know, except if you build your own system on FPGA....

Thanks
Rudolf