[coreboot] Use ASUS P5N-E SLI to directly boot Linux

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 7 12:31:42 CET 2013

Dear Aidas,

welcome! Please try to always use a descriptive subject line.

Am Donnerstag, den 07.02.2013, 11:04 +0000 schrieb aidas karpavicius:

> Id like my pc to boot straight to linux distro without grub or lilo.

That is possible. You can for example store the Linux kernel image
(mkelfimage?) in the flash chip. Though it only works with 32-bit as far
as I know.

SeaBIOS can also directly load an ELF binary if I am not mistaken.

>  But if I wanted I could change to boot to windows.

Well that is what a boot loader is for, is not it. How do you want to
change it otherwise?

> But my knowledge in hardware and c is beginner to intermediate.

That is enough.

> And my mb isnt supported asus p5n-e sli.

Please always provide URLs, so people do not “waste” time looking for
information about your motherboard. The URL is [1]. The board has a
LGA775 CPU socket(?) which is supported by coreboot.

The chipset is NVIDIA® nForce® 650i SLI™ and there your journey probably
stops as NVIDIA does not provide any documentation at all. Only AMD is
doing so. VIA under NDA and Intel only if you have a big business case –
like the Google Chromebooks.

Please also read the FAQ [2].

> So im not sure should I even attempt to try and get it done?

Proper research should have given you the answer that NVIDIA chipset
using boards are near to impossible to support.

So your only route is to get a different mainboard. Please see for
example the thread Csillag Kristóf started [3].

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.asus.de/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_SLI/
[2] http://www.coreboot.org/FAQ