[coreboot] QA: Notification of newly introduced and fixed warnings

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Sun Feb 24 13:34:12 CET 2013

Am 2013-02-24 13:28, schrieb Paul Menzel:
> Currently this is only possible if a board is warning free and -Werror
> is passed to the compiler by setting the Kconfig option
> WARNINGS_ARE_ERRORS to true so the the build aborts on new warnings.
And that's what we should aim for. The introduction of
WARNINGS_ARE_ERRORS was for AGESA boards. Since it seems that we can
touch AGESA now, there's no need to keep this special provision around
for much longer.

One other AGESA provision we could kick out is the CAR globals
exception: For all boards except AGESA, using global variables in
romstage breaks the build unless they marked as CAR globals (in which
case they're moved into CAR space).
AGESA has its own mechanism for doing so (which is much more crude, you
simply reserve some CAR space and hope it's enough. coreboot's
implementation has byte-precision) that we could replace.

> Does somebody have experience with this? It would certainly be nice
> and
> should be doable automatically.
The main problem is that jenkins' coreboot-gerrit task is non-linear:
Introduce tons of warnings with one proposed change in gerrit, and the
next change build-tested by jenkins has no problems to pass...

Patrick