[coreboot] Supported laptops (again), treacherous computing

Nikita Karetnikov nikita at karetnikov.org
Fri Jul 12 12:35:29 CEST 2013

I'm looking for an x86_64 laptop to try Coreboot.  I've looked through
the archives [1,2] and the wiki [3]; it seems the most popular machines
are x60s and t60.

However, these machines are shipped in different configurations [4,5].
This page [6] mentions Core Duo Mobile L2300, which has a 32-bit
instruction set [7], so I'm not really interested.  And this one [8]
says about Core 2 Duo T7200 [9] and Core 2 Duo Mobile L7400 [10] (each
has a 64-bit instruction set).  Is there a configuration that doesn't
require non-free [11] components?  It's not clear from this page [12].
And this answer [13] is a bit confusing because it just mentions x60,
not a particular configuration.  Is there a need to worry about
microcode or EC?  Are there any plans regarding them?  For example, even
"the first fully free laptop" has freedom-related issues with EC [14].

Also, this processor [10] has so-called embedded options.  I'm a bit
concerned.  I don't have any personal experience with such technologies,
but these links [15--19] are scary.  Could anyone elaborate?  For
instance, this page [16] says that one can remotely enable AMT even if
it was disabled in BIOS.  Can Coreboot permanently disable such
"features"?  Can it disable DRM [20]?

TL;DR: I'm looking for an x86_64 laptop that should work with Coreboot,
shouldn't have nasty "features," shouldn't refuse to boot if I replace a
component, and shouldn't require non-free software to run.

[1] http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2013-June/076058.html
[2] http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2013-June/076070.html
[3] http://www.coreboot.org/Laptop#Laptops_with_coreboot_Support
[4] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X60s