[coreboot] Chromebooks overview

tim zander t.zander at uea.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 15:13:52 CEST 2013

Here is a summary of the information I found:

For Pixel and Stout we need to find the write protect jumper...

The rest is ready to flash from system!?

>  May 2012      Samsung      Series 3 Chromebox      Stumpy
> support yes: choose mainboard vendor samsung
>

>  May 2012      Samsung      Series 5 550 Chromebook      Lumpy
> support yes: choose mainboard vendor samsung

for finding the write-protect jumper of the 2 above look here:
https://a77db9aa-a-7b23c8ea-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-sandy-bridge/lumpy-internals.jpg

a disassembly guide from chromium.org:
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-sandy-bridge

>  October 2012     Samsung     ARM Chromebook     Snow (aka Daisy)

needs a screw in to disable write protect
https://a77db9aa-a-7b23c8ea-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-arm-chromebook/arm-chromebook-inside.jpg

disassembly guide here:
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-arm-chromebook

>  November 2012     Acer     C7 Chromebook     Parrot
to find the write protect jumper look here:
https://a77db9aa-a-7b23c8ea-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-c7-chromebook/acer-c7-bottom-guts.jpg

the disassembly guide from chromium.org to get to the write protect jumper:
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-c7-chromebook

>  January 2013     Lenovo     Thinkpad X131e Chromebook     Stout

there is no information on chromium.org
for disassembly guide see
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=PD024821

>  February 2013     HP     Pavilion 14 Chromebook     Butterfly

to find the write protect jumper look here:

https://a77db9aa-a-7b23c8ea-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/hp-pavilion-14-chromebook/butterfly-top-wp.jpg

disassembly guide on chromium.org
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/hp-pavilion-14-chromebook

>  February 2013     Google     Chromebook Pixel     Link
no information about write protect jumper on chromium.org

disassembly guide:

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/chromebook-pixel