[coreboot] Enabling Dediprog by default in flashrom

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jun 16 15:01:02 CEST 2013

Hi,

the release of flashrom 0.9.7 is imminent and I would really like to
enable the Dediprog programmer by default. Carl-Daniel informed me that
the only problem is that we do not know which opcode is actually used
for reading on the SPI bus. It could be that we initiate a fast read
(0x0b) instead of a normal read (0x03). This would work with the
majority of flash chips but would not with others where flashrom
should normally work. Since we are not sure we don't want to enable it
without further consideration/testing/warning messages. Furthermore
not all chips supporting fast read have this fact noted in their
datashets. So testing any apparently non-fast read chip does not
suffice. We would rather be able to check the opcode on the SPI bus
with a logic analyzer directly. Are there any Dediprog users who can
help us with that please?