[coreboot] How to best integrate misspelling script?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 29 15:20:22 CEST 2013

Dear coreboot folks,

searching for a way to automatically find misspellings I found a post by
Jim Meyering on Fedora’s devel list [1], where he suggests to use the
project misspellings [2].

Testing this with a simple

    $ find src/coreboot/ -name '*.c' | ./misspellings -f -

it indeed finds a lot of misspelling in our code, but as expected there
are also false positives. I am going to send in a patch with the fixes
after reviewing the list to omit the false positives.

The question is, how to hook this up into our infrastructure. Jim
suggests a `make check` rule. The downside is that this would need to be
run manually by the user. Running it automatically on every commit by
placing a script in `util/lint` to only check changed files would be
feasible, but possible false positives are a problem though.

Do you have an idea, how to work around this problem? There is the
`--no-verify` switch for `git commit` to not run the hooks, but this
also ignores the commit-msg hooks, which then is not able to add a
Change-Id for Gerrit.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-June/168159.html