[coreboot] "Time out waiting for P-state 1" / GA-MA785GMT-UD2H + AMD Phenom II X4 955

George Chriss gschriss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 18:34:20 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm attempting to use Coreboot with a Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (rev
1.1) board -- listed on the 'Supported boards' list -- with an AMD
Phenom II X4 955 (HDZ955FBGIBOX) processor.  Proprietary VGA BIOS
extraction, building, flashing, and DualBIOS recovery all work well.

The board coreboots reasonably well with a Athlon II X2 245 processor.
 Debug log output:
  coreboot / GA-MA785GMT-UD2H / Athlon II X2 245
    http://pastebin.com/9GxVnAha

  coreboot dmesg / GA-MA785GMT-UD2H / Athlon II X2 245
    http://pastebin.com/MztWHjfv

However with the Phenom II X4 processor Coreboot times out with " Time
out waiting for P-state 1. Current P-state 0...":
   coreboot debug log / Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
    http://pastebin.com/zinViJ4i

Related commit:
   [coreboot] [commit] r6401 ... cpu/amd/model_10xxx
    http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2011-February/063903.html

"+  /* paranoia ? I fear when we run fixPsNbVidBeforeWR we can enter a
+   * P1 that is a copy of P0, therefore has the same NB DID but the
+   * TSC will count twice per tick, so we have to wait for twice the
+   * count to achieve the desired timeout. But I'm likely to
+   * misunderstand this...
+   */"

It's OK in my case to have the processor remain in P0 indefinably.
Any patch suggestions?

Sincerely,
George