[coreboot] Intel: How to share `tsc_freq.c` to select `UDELAY_TSC`

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed May 8 22:43:32 CEST 2013

ron minnich wrote:
> Given that the platforms work, and most of them are obsolete, it's
> hard to see the virtue in this change.

I disagree.

> It adds the risk of failure for what seems an academic gain in
> cleanliness.

Code reuse where reuse makes sense is one of several things that
separate coreboot from commercial firmware products, and a very
worthy goal indeed.

Emphasis on makes sense, as always. Ron, I'm surprised that you are
arguing against cleaning up code while at the same time saying that
the code is too old to care about.

If there are almost 20 copies of identical code then that is merely
silly copypasting which we should be happy that Paul wants to clean
up.

As Aaron mentioned it might be one level too deep to unify the TSC
code right now, but perhaps there can be some successful unification
of some of the copies, and/or compile-time parameterization of the
code such that there is less copies of the same code needed, if only
some parameters change.

It's certainly worth looking into further, with an open mind.

//Peter