[coreboot] DDR fails on F2A85-M

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 11 22:20:31 CEST 2013

Dear David,

Am Freitag, den 10.05.2013, 01:21 -0600 schrieb David Hubbard:

> I pulled the version from http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/3200/ but my
> F2A85-M still halts in the same place:
>
> ASSERTION FAILED: file
> 'src/vendorcode/amd/agesa/f15tn/Proc/Mem/Main/mmExcludeDimm.c',  line 263

very strange. I did not find, how these troubles started. Was not the
ASUS F2A85-M and these RAM modules work fine in the past?

> I am using CONFIG_BOARD_ASUS_F2A85_M_DDR3_VOLT_150

I have no idea if the SMBus writes in there are actually correct as I do
not have the board to verify it. As Rudolf suggested, try with the 1.6
Volts. But if I am not mistaken you did so already without any luck.

What voltage is used with the vendor BIOS?

Could you test with other modules maybe borrowed from another system or
a friend?

> I uncommented the #define IDSOPT_IDS_ENABLED in
> src/mainboard/asus/f2a85-m/OptionsIds.h and captured the serial output.

Good idea.

> What do you think I should pursue first, option A or B:
>
> Option A is where AGESA says:
>
> > MemClkFreq changed: 333 MHz -> 800 MHzMemFInitTableDrive
> [0000000000000001] Start
> MemFInitTableDrive End
> >
> > No Rtt entries
> >
> >  * ERROR Event: 04063500 Data: 0, 0, 0, 0
> >
> >         Disable DCT0 due to unsupported DIMM configuration
> >                 Memclk Freq: 800
> >                 RdPtr: 6
>
> It sounds like AGESA needs a table with Rtt entries?

I understood the code the way, that this is only needed, when
autodetection fails. But the values should be autodetected. Maybe you
can add some output in the loops above to see where it actually fails.

As a workaround you can try to hard code your values though.

> Option B is where AGESA says:
>
> > Going into training stage 2. Complete training at DDR667 is done.
>
> If DDR3-667 works but AGESA fails at DDR3-1600, is it possible to go back
> to DDR3-667 or try an intermediate speed, say DDR3-1333 ?

Maybe there is an option in AGESA where you can limit the maximum
frequency.

$ more src/mainboard/asus/f2a85-m/buildOpts.c
[…]
#define BLDCFG_MEMORY_BUS_FREQUENCY_LIMIT         DDR1866_FREQUENCY
[…]
#define BLDCFG_MEMORY_CLOCK_SELECT                DDR1600_FREQUENCY
[…]

> I put a sample log at https://gist.github.com/davidhubbard/5552910

Thanks. The list’s size limit should definitely be raised so such logs
can be attached to the message.

> Here are some things I did:
>
> 1. cold boot after removing AC power for ~30 s
> 2. try the other DIMM in slot A1 (still just a single DIMM in the machine)
> 3. hit the reset switch a couple of times
>
> The manufacturer page for the memory says: [1]
> Non-ECC
> Tested Speed DDR3-2133 MHz
> Tested Latency 11-11-11-30 2N
> Tested Voltage 1.5 -1.6V
> SPD Speed 1600 MHz
> SPD Voltage 1.5V
>

> Some useful snippets from the log:
>
> MemoryClockSelect : 800
>
> AmdMemAuto: Start
> MEM PARAMS:
>         BottomIo : 00E0
>         MemHoleRemap : 1
>         LimitBelow1TB : 1
>         UserTimingMode : 0
>         MemClockValue : 800
>         BankIntlv : 1
>         NodeIntlv : 0
>         ChannelIntlv : 1
>         EccFeature : 0
>         PowerDown : 1

Any idea, what the above means?

>         OnLineSpare : 0
>         Parity : 0
>         BankSwizzle : 1
>         MemClr : 1
>         UmaMode : 1
>         UmaSize : 8192
>         MemRestoreCtl : 0
>         SaveMemContextCtl : 0
>         ExternalVrefCtl : 0
>         ForceTrainMode : 2
>
> Node0: 1.5V -> 800MHz
>
> MemClkFreq: 333 MHz
>
> MemClkFreq changed: 333 MHz -> 800 MHz

I am sorry to not be able to offer you a solution.

Could you try to find out with `bios_extract` for example what AGESA
version the vendor BIOS uses.

Thanks,

Paul

PS: David, Google Mail changed the compose interface and they send HTML
message in addition to text by default. Could you change that to just
plain text please [3][4]?

[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/gmail-users@googlegroups.com/msg00330.html
[4] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_list_netiquette