[coreboot] [RFC] Board status script

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Thu Nov 7 01:56:49 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > > If you mean the Wiki, then in my experience it is pretty accurate.
> >
> > You might be the only person with that experience. Again, we are doing
> > this driven by a clearly stated request from a number of people. The
> > current page is a problem.
>
> So what is the plan for the new system? A separate Web application? A
> script like in flashrom to create a Wiki page automatically?

Files created by the script are uploaded to a separate git repository on
coreboot.org (
http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=board-status.git;a=summary ). At first,
a coreboot.org developer account will be required to prevent spam/abuse.
Currently a wiki account is required to update mainboard status, so the new
approach will simplify administration since fewer accounts are required. We
may also experiment with ways to allow submissions from non-developers
(maybe allow a dummy account to submit?), thus reducing administrative
overhead and making the process more inclusive of the community at large.

A script will generate the wiki page automatically based on the content
that has been uploaded. The final format that will be presented on the
supported mainboards page is still to be decided. I suggested a
spreadsheet-like format, but we'll see how it goes.

Also thinking more about it, there is another problem to only have one
> version of logs per board. What happens if two people build an image
> from the same revision but with different configurations, where one
> works and the other does not for example?

Multiple versions of logs can be allowed. Config info is obtained via
cbfstool. If a particular configuration does not boot, the script will not
be able to run and the result won't be uploaded. (This assumes that
developers are not bypassing the script and pushing bad results into the
board-status repository, of course)

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.