[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Wed Nov 20 10:29:37 CET 2013

Am Mittwoch, den 20.11.2013, 00:11 -0600 schrieb mrnuke:
> Guys! Stop this nonsense. It didn't work in the past, it doesn't work
> now, and it won't work in the future. Once you buy that laptop,
> Phoenix/AMI/etc gets their money, Microsoft gets their money, Norton
> gets their money... you get the point. Manufacturers are enthralled to
Microsoft money gets returned (even if it's just $30).
Norton paid money to get installed (it's a 30 days demo for a reason).
You won't get around the IBV fees with this model, I grant that.

> The method you guys are discussing is not only plain stupid,
> it's also dangerous. It's dangerous for coreboot in that it undermines
> the power of voting with the wallet, and most definitely eliminates any
> incentive to consider coreboot as a factory default.
The proposal is for a market study - of which I wouldn't be too
optimistic anyway. People would find something to gripe over to dismiss
any such project anyway (so they can continue to buy Apple gear with
good conscience).

> The next best thing, crowdfunding is also out of the picture as long as
> a coreboot non-profit does not exist.
Why would an individual or company trying this on kickstarter require a
coreboot non-profit?

> -- Sent from my Pavilion Chromebook running linux
With which you (according to your theory above) stated that you have no
problem with ME firmware and closed source memory init.
And now we have FSP. Great job.

Patrick