[coreboot] software hardening research project - request for advices to start

Laurent Lesage laurent at 2lconsult.be
Thu Nov 21 12:50:54 CET 2013

Hello Zoran,

Thanks for your answer. I googled a bit coreboot and read the short SAGE
guide. My understanding is a bit better, but I've not yet begun to put
my hands on it. Before that, I ask again some advices.

So I understood that, indeed, a very quick boot is possible. That's
fine. So, the POST may be done when "cold start" is done. It's only when
I want to make a reboot that I need it to be as fast as possible. When
you say "

shallow warm restart

it speaks well to me, though I've still no idea of how to do it. ... if
I google those words "shallow warm restart + coreboot" .... I just find
this email thread in first position!!! Can you give more tips on haow to
go in this direction?

I also saw that it was possible to flash coreboot + payload on the chip
: this is a very interesting option, because we also have to protect the
software against a mad CPU (it will be, as we will cause bitflips in it
with ions irradiations). If the soft is in the ROM, we may consider it
is safe. In case of error (that is, if the CPU is in an infinite loop,
or triggered any exception), the only thing that would have to happen is
a reset, that is (as far as I can express it) :
-restart the payload only (an so reload it from ROM) = we consider that
the RAM content is corrupted.
-of course, the cache will have to be reset (also considered as corrupted)
-the system should be in the same state as when it started, except there
should be no need to make a POST again.
-may be do things I do not yet know about...
All that stuff is the "shallow warm restart" as far as I understand. AM
I right?
And yes, the software is as simple as possible, that is, no threads,
only C code on bare metal. No interrupts : the only interrupt authorized
is to reset the CPU, but this should be triggered with a watchdog and/or
the PCIex board which will hold and FPGA and some kind of protected
memory (i. e. protected against the "mad" processor).

Is UEFI and EDK necessary? I read that UEFI support was not yet
complete. EDK is the tool provided by SAGE, I think : is it GPL too? At
this time we do not have budget to hire anyone... MAybe in the future if
we can set this experiment which has never been done.

About the test board :
At this point, my idea is to use coreboot + Qemu to put my hands on
coreboot and try to do what I described. I suppose (am I right?) that if
it works that way, it would be possible to use what I learned to put it
quite easily on a "real" board?
Is Intel or AMD more suited to those needs? What do you think?

Laurent